Site Meter

Saturday, June 20, 2009

What Does the Bible Say?

Some Christians, from the lofty seats of (self-assumed) perfection, will point out that the Bible says that certain sinners are doomed to go to hell. Perhaps the accusers even get a bit of satisfaction from the prospect. Yes, it's true; the Bible does have abundant warnings about the consequences of sin, but it has much more to say about the grace of God.


Adultery is a sin. Yet, though David committed adultery and then schemed the death of the unfortunate husband, David was said to be a man after God's own heart. Jesus did not condemn the woman caught in the act of adultery. Killing is a sin. But Paul, before his encounter with Jesus, caused the death of many Christians. Stealing is a sin. Yet, on the cross Jesus promised a thief he would join Jesus in Paradise that very day.

What's going on here? This can be very perplexing. Do these events imply that God allows sin if it's for a good cause? No way. God does not gloss over sin nor does he excuse it. David repented, was forgiven but he suffered the effects of his sin. In the Old Testament days faith in God was counted as righteousness. In spite of his faults, David was a man of faith.


In the crowds that Jesus preached to and the individuals he healed, were there not those who were sinners of every stripe? Of course there were. Yet, he did not call out individuals or groups and say to them, "You go home. My message of salvation is not for you. I don't approve of your lifestyle so get out of my sight. Salvation is only for certain people and you're not among them." No, thank God, he didn't say that. Instead he said,"For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them." (Luke 9:56)


Paul had much to say about sexual sin: Romans 1:26-27; 1Cor. 6:9, 1Tim. 1:10. Does this mean the church should wage war against homosexuals? Does it mean that these men and women are forever outside the grace and love of God? That is not the kind of God revealed to me in Christ. Without dismissing God's word or giving approval to their lifestyle we are called to love our neighbors.
During an argument early in our marriage, my first wife told me," I love you but I don't like you." I was baffled by her statement. How was it possible to love someone without liking them? It was not until I became a Christian years later that I fully understood what she was saying.
It's been said that Jesus came to save the least, the lost and the losers. I believe that at the time Jesus saved me I fit into each of those categories. Remembering how much God has forgiven in my life I am not willing that the joy of salvation be denied to anyone.


This is an emotionally-charged subject. I have been present when the subject of homosexuality was brought up and Christian friends all but frothed at the mouth in anger. I don't expect my viewpoint to be popular and I may lose some of the few readers of this blog. So be it. There is a saying,"Beware when all men think well of you."




Suggested reading: "20 Hot Potatoes Christians Are Afraid To Touch" by Tony Campolo

Curiosities
Ghandi used what he learned in Chapters 5-7 of Matthew for his non-violent response to the oppressive British rule of India.


Prince Charles of England has a valet to squeeze toothpaste on the prince's toothbrush.

Congress is not supposed to be involved in the management of GM (Government Motors ?). GM had scheduled one of their parts plants to shut down. This plant is in Congessman Barney Frank's state. He personally countermanded GM's order and the plant is to remain open for another 14 months. GM could become like Amtrak which Congress apparently treats like their personal toy train set. Now they have a car company to meddle with.


Congress recently (and very quietly) voted itself additional money for staff and office expenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment