Site Meter

Thursday, June 17, 2010

As I plod my 2 mile walk at our church's Christian Life Center track, every other walker passes me. I joke that once I was in a race where I was the only contestant but I'm so slow I still came in second. Hey; I'm grateful I can still walk. I also use the time to think about subjects for upcoming blogs.

I thought this morning that if you live long enough you're going to see most things at least twice. Fashions, for example, and other areas of design and art which seem to cycle every decade or so. Some things my take longer. Colors of the 70's, once so popular (turquoise, chartreuse, etc.) and now considered to be just this side of hideous, will reappear someday as the must-have NEW COLORS! All it would take is for some celebrity like Martha to make the declaration and her countless devoted followers would fall in line. I hope that someday ladies will again wear hats and white gloves. My wife greeted that idea with thumbs down. LaNell said if men had to wear hats and white gloves I wouldn't think it would be so charming.
Past political solutions proposed to solve national problems is another area that gets recycled. Our president, who is a rank amateur at governing and who has proved the adage told to children for many years, that anyone can grow up to be president, seems to have looked to FDR for guidance in solving some of our current problems. Although FDR was a seasoned politician and former governor of New York, very little of what he did made any improvement during the Depression. His Progressive advisers offered many noble proposals for the betterment of society. Some became law but most simply made the central government bigger and more bureaucratic as will Obamacare. Progressives find the Constitution a nuisance and are constantly trying to get around it or undermine it in order to further their agenda.
* * * * ** * * ** * ** * * * * * * * * ** * ** * ** ***
In connection with last week's blog on security I offer this poem I wrote years ago:

Security

Some souls float on the surface of life,
Content to drift with the tide.
Others, afraid of venturing too far,
Find secluded coves and hide

They shall come down to the evening of life
Wishing they had been more bold.
Fearful of getting too close to the fire,
They end being out in the cold.

Don't worry what others are thinking,
Be your very own woman or man,
Cast off your line from safe harbor;
Live to the fullest you can.

Don't waste the gold of hours;
Too soon our sky is the sod.
Don't trade freedom for safety,
There's security only in God.

"Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13 New King James

No comments:

Post a Comment