Site Meter

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Noah the Jewish Fly, Chapter 8

   As I settled into a vantage point in Jesus' beard I must have wiggled a lot because He asked, "Are you comfy?"
  "Like sitting in the back seat of a Rolls Royce (A)," I answered.
  "Really?  As good as that? (A)  Well, you may stay there as long as you can stand it.  There are some rough times ahead;  ugly times you may not prefer to witness."
  What?, I thought.  As long as I can stand it?  Ugly times?  Hey; bring 'em on. I'm a grizzled veteran of ugly times. I've witnessed murder, child molestation, starvation, torture.  You name it; I've seen it.
  "Yes, you have" Jesus said, reading my mind. "And the evil-doers of all those things will be repaid.  But I'm referring to things even you, with all your experience, would find unimaginable at the moment.  For now, you will have to wait to see them as they come into being.  But before we leave this subject I know you've been pondering Isaiah's prophecy:  "But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed."  What do you make of that?"
  "Oh, that," I answered. "Yes, I've wondered a lot about what Isaiah was referring to.  I came to the conclusion that the prophet was speaking figuratively.  It is beyond reason that your people would actually do You physical harm.  After all, You have come to deliver them from the penalties of sin and to set them right with God if they believe in You.  Surely, surely, once they recognize who You are they will receive You with joy."
  Jesus did not respond.
  Disconcerted by Jesus' silence I pressed the case for my opinion.
  "You grew up in Nazareth didn't you?" I asked.
  "Yes," he replied.
  "Well, I bet the folks there are proud of You.  You know, 'Local boy makes good; Turns out to be the Messiah.'"
  I could hear and feel Jesus sigh before he answered.
  "I was well received when I returned to Nazareth,"  he said.  "As usual I went to the synagogue on the Sabbath. Recognized by all as a Teacher, I stood up to read and was handed the book of Isaiah.  I read a messianic passage, closed the book, handed it back to the attendant and sat down.  Everybody in the synagogue stared at me.  I was seated but I was not finished teaching.  I added, "Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."
  I interrupted with, "And that's when they started cheering, right?"
  "No," Jesus said. "They sat quietly for few moments, seemingly amazed and somewhat shocked at what I had said. Then, a buzz started in the crowd and I heard someone close to me say, "Isn't this Joseph's boy?  We watched him grow up right here in this town. What gives him the right to claim to be the Messiah?  He's either mad or lying." I knew then that not one person there was receiving what God was offering.  I went on to remind them of God's acts of grace to Gentiles through Elijah and Elisha during a period of Israel's unbelief.  That stung the congregation into a frenzy. Yelling: 'Gentile-lover! Blasphemer! Death to the Liar!' they grabbed me and led me to the edge of a cliff, determined to throw me to my death.  It was not my time so I calmly walked through the mob to safety and they were powerless to stop me."
  I was stunned into silence by how His hometown had shamefully treated Jesus.  Then, something warm and wet from above drenched and roused me from my depressed state; Jesus was weeping.
  It's well known that flies cannot cry; but this fly did.  Buckets, actually.
  "Don't cry for me, Little Friend,"  Jesus said softly. "Weep for Israel.  There will also be many tears shed by My people when they realize Who they have rejected"  He stood, gently removed me from his beard and used a corner of His robe to dry my eyes. 
  "Feel better?"  He asked.
  "A little," I answered. "I just had no idea anyone would treat you like the Nazarenes did."
  " Capernaum is my new hometown,"  Jesus said. "Nazareth has made its choice.  Come, get back in my beard. We must move on."

NOTES

(A) Once again the elderly author slipped off the time track.
(A) Example of Jesus' omniscience

References: Luke Chapter 4, Isaiah 53:5

No comments:

Post a Comment