Site Meter

Thursday, April 30, 2009

My Journey to the Son Part l

My Journey to the Son Part l







My mother and father were divorced when I was 2 yrs. old and my brother was 1. My father gained custody of us and, because his business demanded so much of his time, he had to find someone to care for us. He located a lady, a hotel maid, who was divorced and had 5 children. The agreement as I understood it much later, was: She would move in with her brood and take care of my brother and me and in return my dad would support the whole group. Instantly the reader may assume all sorts of scandal, but I have reason to believe the arrangement was platonic. In any case I grew up believing she was my mother and her children my brothers (4) and sister (1). I refer to her now as my step-mother or "Mom Hulse".





Although practical and necessary, the arangement was not ideal. Two families under one roof inevitably bring friction. With the coming of the Great Depression and the loss of my dad's business, the shortage of money was a constant worry to him. Arguments were often and loud.



Eventually. some of my step-mother's children (the youngest was about 8 yrs. older than I) married, divorced and moved back home bringing bitterness with them. All together I can say my childhood was not a happy time and the adverse effects were deep and long-lasting. My 'parents' took me to Sunday school and at age 12 I went through the conformand course and joined the church. There was no spiritual impetus to go through the exercise; I did it because my friends did. Our Sunday school teacher remains in my memory. A white-hair saint who stayed calm in spite of the energetic antics of twelve year old boys. Seventy-one years later I can still picture her and her beatific smile. I am convinced that Mrs. Preston was well aquainted with the Holy Spirit.





I will end the first stage of my spiritual journey by saying that there was no sign of spiritual awakening up to this point. Did God have a plan and have his hand on me? Of course; just as he has a plan and guiding hand for everyone. But for me, it took a long time to recognize it.





God bless you and your spiritual journey.





Odd fact: In 1899 the British scientist William Thomson declared: "Radio has no future. Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible. X-rays will prove to be a hoax." (Hope he was a better scientist than prophet.)

3 comments:

  1. Hello Floyd,
    I too joined the church at an early age. I went through baptism, etc. However, it was years later that I came to know Jesus Christ as my personal savior. What a difference his presence in my life has made.

    Thank you so much for sharing your life with us. I look forward to reading about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS
    You are way ahead of me in the blogging arena. I still haven't learned to get my ID straightened out. Rachel Hart

    ReplyDelete