Site Meter

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Welcome To My Blog

In spite of the blog name "Fanciful Floyd" there is nothing about me that could be interpreted as fancy. Mark, my tech advisor and I simply wanted a name with alliteration. I am 83 years old and still have most of my mental faculties. I am a retired architect, a painter and novelist with three novels published: "Alexander’s Ruby," "A Gathering of Stones," (Sequel "Alexander’s Ruby," and "Two Days to Redemption." All available at Amazon.com if you’re interested. I recommend "Alexander’s Ruby." I also published 3 books of poetry. I enjoy reading history; especially military history and just about anything to do with classic and contemporary cars and art and architecture.

I’m a veteran of WWll and grew up during the Great Depression both of which, as you might imagine, were influential in my life. I am a first generation American, a product of a Greek-Romanian father and an American mother. More about all that in future blogs.

The greatest influence on my life started when I was 44 years old. It was at that time that I surrendered my life to Christ. I will give a full account of how it happened and some of my spiritual adventures in later blogs.

I began this blog to present some of my views on Christianity and the Christian life. And the views will be mine; I’m not the least bit interested in debating or arguing theology with anyone. Please don’t take offense but if arguing is what you like to do, get your own blog.
I will also give my take on politics and other areas of interest in our nation. If you choose to reply to any of my blogs, please stay on subject and use Christian courtesy.

Advanced age does not automatically confer wisdom on a person but I do have a longer perspective that might help to bring you some things to think about. I hope you will discover I have a sense of humor and that I do not take myself seriously.

Today I refer you to an article in Newsweek magazine entitled "The End of Christian America" by John Meacham with Eliza Gray. Well written and worth reading. From my reading of history I believe America is not and has never been a ‘Christian nation.’ At some time our country may have been largely made up by those labeling themselves as Christian and certainly Christian principles have greatly influenced our Constitution and laws but we have never even come close to being a theocracy. Start with the Pilgrims. They came here for religious freedom-------for the Pilgrims. Those who did not subscribe to their particular religious beliefs were not welcome. Not a very good start for Christian nation.

Cal Thomas got it right: "No country can be truly Christian. Only people can." Because the Moral Majority ignored that or didn’t believe it or thought they could change it they set themselves up for disappointment. Christianity and worldly politics simply will not mesh. Jesus did not try to change the Roman government. Nor did he encourage his followers to get into politics. Politics involves compromise. That is the price to be paid to be elected. You scratch my back; I’ll scratch yours.

Jesus made it clear that his kingdom is not of this world and he knew that politics or the use of military force would not accomplish his goals.

Our present age is being referred to as ‘Post Christian" intimating that Christianity has had its day, its opportunity, to make a difference and it couldn’t cut it. So it is being set aside to make room for the ‘New Religions’ and multiple gods. Professing Christians are fading away along with their quaint old-fashioned belief system which doesn’t fit into the new intellectual and cultural changes taking place in our country. One day soon we will be as relevant as the dinosaurs.
Don’t bet on it. God is not mocked. He said he would never leave himself without a witness.

Christianity has not been advanced or helped by the legalists who know all the religious rules but little of the love of Christ, the "aginners" who are quick to notice the faults in others and then hammer them with the "thou shall nots" and the tv evangelists with their popular but deceiving "prosperity gospel." These examples eventually drive people away and are not the true face of the Gospel. It’s been said that, "The trouble with Christianity is Christians." Yes, God please forgive us, we do not always display what we profess but that does not change the truth that
we worship a perfect God and that people today need, and generations to come will need, what God is offering in Christ: Love, Acceptance, True Freedom, Joy, A True Sense of Worth, Forgiveness, Salvation.

This is not the first time that the end of Christianity and/or its influence has been predicted ... I don’t believe it will happen and I wouldn’t exchange my relationship with Christ for anything this world has to offer.

3 comments:

  1. I think that anyone who paints, write poetry, writes novels, designs buildings and has a broad range of intersts is pretty fanciful.

    In that flights of fancy sort of way. Not the fancy ruffled shirt variety.

    Nice to hear from a Christian who understands that although most of the citizens are self-professed Christians, we are not a "Christian Nation."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful that I have a Dad that is (A) a Christian and (B) Cool enough to have a blog. My spiritual journey began at the same time as you Dad, but certainly took a "vacation" for many years. I'm proud to say it is back on track and eager to learn more about your journey. I love you, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us.

    I have oftened marvelled that so many people seem to meld Christianity and Democracy. A Democratic nation is quite different than a Theocracy, and we have many Christian brothers and sisters who live under various forms of government.

    Christianity is not about the land we live in, nor how it is governed. Rather Christianity is about the individual's personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and whether we are willing to accept him as Lord, allowing him to govern our lives.

    May the Lord continue to use you to reach others with the Good News of Jesus Christ - Rachel Hart

    ReplyDelete