Site Meter

Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Journey to the Son Part 3

After settling in our rented home we joined Lufkin's First Methodist church. This enabled us to meet people in a town where we only knew my employer and his family. I joined a men's Sunday school class and Nita joined a women's class. Over time I became quite impressed with the class teacher, Ward Burke, who seemed to have the respect of everyone. With my wordly mind I eventually reasoned that to have the same status as Mr. Burke it would be helpful for me to have a class to teach. It didn't occur to me that, spiritually, I was probably the least prepared person in Texas to take on such a responsibility. But, combine ambition with stupidity and common sense doesn't stand a chance.

About 18 months later I was approached by the Minister of Education. He aked if I would be willing to be the teacher of a new class of young couples. Now; some would call this event the mysterious work of God; others might see it as coincidence. Me? I saw it as plain good luck.
In any case I quickly agreed and the class was organized with about a half dozen couples.
For reasons I don't remember or never knew, the class prospered and membership expanded until there were about 40 members. Apparently I was the only one who read the lesson book and I had learned enough churchy lingo to put on a pretty good show. I know I said some things that I later had to ask God to forgive. I was a perfect example of everything a Sunday school teacher should not be and why teachers should be examined to evaluate their spiritual depth.

At that point in my life I should have been happy. I wasn't. I suppose many men would have liked to have been in my position. I had a loving wife, 3 fine healthy children, a good job and a new house. The future looked good. But something like a fog of discontent seemed to have enveloped me. Something was missing from this rosy picture but I couldn't imagine what it could possibly be. After all, hadn't I realized the American Dream?

God bless you.
Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment