Site Meter

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Come close. I have a quiet confession to make. I like fruitcake. There; I've said it. I realize I'm in the minority but count me among those who actually eat the stuff. Sure, most of the fruit-filled delight probably ends ingloriously as door stops or anchors or boat ballast, but, whenever possible, I rescue it before those fates befall it. You may find it easier to understand my appetite for this much maligned delicacy when I tell you I also like........brussel sprouts.


The myth that there is really only one fruitcake in the world that is passed around continuously, year after year; that myth, I say, is no longer true because I intercepted that cake long ago. So, if you received an unwelcome fruitcake this Christmas ( or last), send it on to me and I will see to it that it is not wasted but waisted.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Let me tell you about my friend, Mac, a good 'ol country boy; 6 feet, 1 inch tall and 225 lbs of good nature. He is one of those rare people with no pretense about him; what you see is what you get. If you don't want a truthful opinion, then don't ask him because he will deliver exactly what he thinks. You will not have to guess about or interpret what he says. He is ordinarily kind, tender-hearted, polite and generous but, as we say in Texas, he's not to be messed with.

Most Wednesdays at 5:00 p.m., I am privileged to gather together with Mac and Charles, another friend, at my home for prayer. I love to listen to Mac and Charles pray. Mac's prayers are lifted up in true east Texas english. He claims he doesn't speak well but in his own way his words are more eloquent than any high church petitions I've ever heard. I don't want to leave the impression that he is some kind of country bumpkin. Far from it. He is college educated, intelligent and before retiring had a successful business he built from scratch. Above all he seeks to be a man of God.

As children of God we are all unique; it just happens that Mac is a little uniquer.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

What are your thoughts this Christmas? Do you ever wonder what Jesus would make of the way we generally celebrate his birthday? What gift can we give to Him in exchange for the priceless gift of salvation?



"You don't want sacrifice; if you did, how gladly I would do it! You aren't interested in offerings burned before you on the altar. It is a broken spirit you want--remorse and penitence. A broken and a contrite heart, O God, you will not ignore." Psalm 51:17 LB



God bless you and yours. Happy birthday Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment