Site Meter

Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Holy Spirit continued

A church, any church, that ignores the Holy Spirit, is a corpse. The Spirit is Life. As Jesus said, "But the hour is coming and now is when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is Spirit and they that worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth." Jn.4:23-2. God is Spirit; not a spirit (not one among many.) He the Holy Spirit: God's Presence With Us, unbound by time or space. He is The Comforter Jesus promised: Our Teacher and Guide. He is the One who testifies to our spirit that Jesus is the Christ. "...and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit." 1 Corin. 3b.


Some people have become discouraged trying to live the Christian life. Here's the skinny: Trying to live the life without the Spirit just won't work. He is the Enabler. Yes; it's possible to grimly slog along, grinding out the gloomy days, thinking that this is the lot of the Christian. But that's not what Jesus promised. Neither did he promise smooth sailing nor encourage a Pollyanna existence, skipping merrily along flinging rose petals. John 15:9-11, "As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you that My joy may remain in you and that your joy may be full." Jesus and the disciples were about to face the most difficult and stressful part of their lives, yet Jesus talked of love and joy in spite of the hardship that would come.

To worship God is to move into the realm of the supernatural; the realm of the 'God Spirit', on the wings of the Truth that Jesus is the Son of God, our Savior. The natural man/woman cannot get into that realm any other way. Although some people will try. A recent poll of members of a mainline denomination (beginning with the letter "P") revealed that about 39% believed there were other ways to get to heaven other than through Christ. As a friend said many years go,"Believing there is no Hell will not lower its temperature even one degree." So even if 100% of that or any other denomination denies Christ it will not budge Him one inch from His seat on the right hand of the Father.



Think about this: If every person in this country who claims to be a Christian brought just one other person to Christ there would not be enough churches to hold all the converts. But first, every one who claims to be Christian should pray to be filled with the Holy Spirit so they can effectively live the Christian life and to witness to the truth. Legalism, a fierce countenance, a judgmental attitude and finger shaking under the nose of an unbeliever will not win one soul. Declaring that this sin or that sin will surely send someone to Hell is not the way to point them to Christ. Being edgy, brittle, acting spiritually superior and smug, scowling and scolding does nothing to woo the unsaved. When others see the love and joy of Christ in you and me then they will wonder where is the source.



People are not frightened or browbeaten into the kingdom. God is love, not revenge.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Recently while I was walking on our Christian Life Center track, a friend, much younger than I (seems like everyone is younger), passed me. Jokingly I told her I had been in a race in which I was the only contestant but I was so slow I still came in second. She answered, "At least you were in the race!"


I wouldn't mind as an epitaph, "He didn't do much but at least he was in the race." It would say that in spite of my sins, shortcomings and inadequacies I was not content to sit on the sidelines. Once you find the "pearl of great price" you cannot help but want to share it with others.


Father; Please fill me with your Holy Spirit, your love and joy. Please let it overflow into into everyone I come in contact with. Put people in my path who are searching for the Pearl of Great Price but don't know where to look or don't even realize their need. Give me spiritual awareness to recognize them. All for your glory, in Jesus name. So be it.




1 comment:

  1. Floyd, what a delightful coincidence. Your blog today is about the very verses my Bible Study is studying this week! We have class every Friday and there is a lesson with notes on the section we are studying and a couple of pages of questions and then we gather and discuss them in smaller groups (about 12-15) and then we go and listed to a 45 minute lecture and worship together. The study is really intense. This whole year is devoted to the book of John. Loved your blog...it added to my study.

    Also, I am a member of one of those churches that begin with a P but we wanted to keep the traditional Bibical teachings so we changed our affiliation to the P with power!:>)

    ReplyDelete