Site Meter

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Holy Spirit Gifts

Continuing with subject of the gifts of the Spirit begun last week:


(Disclaimer: I do not "know it all" (or even very much) and, heaven forbid, I certainly do not want to come across as a "know it all.") The following is some of what I have gathered from the Word, my own experience and the experience of people I trust.

In the natural world, nearly everyone is happy to receive a gift. Rarely is a gift refused. But, strange as it seems, when gifts of the Spirit are involved, not every Christian views them as something desirable.

Here are only some of the attitudes and expressions I've heard, or discerned, concerning the Holy Spirit:

"That's spooky. I'm afraid of the Holy Spirit.' (A class member in Sunday school)

"Third person of the Trinity; that's all I know."

"Who needs it?"

"Why go there? I'm happy where I am."

From a friend who commented on one of the gifts, her face twisted like she was smelling something really bad, "Speaking in tongues is..." (she shivered and did not complete her sentence.)

" Oh, not that Holy Roller stuff. That's not a part of our church doctrine."

"That sort of thing is too far out. Kind of creepy."

"The gifts were no longer available or necessary after the last Apostle died."

"If it was important we would have heard more about it in church."

"Paul was only talking to the Corinthians."

"That's O.K. for you , I guess, but not for me."
"Not my cup of tea."


"Come now, and let us reason together, Says the Lord,"'' (Isa.1:18) Think for a moment; does it make any sense to suppose God would offer something that would be harmful for us? Of course not. Nevertheless, our gracious, loving God has given us free will and we are free to refuse whatever gift he offers us. Whether we accept or reject the gifts does not affect our salvation which was assured when we accepted Christ as our Savior.
The purpose of the gifts:
To glorify God (Not the individual believer)
To benefit the Body of Christ, that is the Church, the Body of Believers. (Not for self-satisfaction)
To be ministered in love. (Not as a sign of spiritual superiority which was the basis of discord in the Corinthian church)
More next week.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
When I finished my walk at the church track today and came down the stairs into the main room of our Christian Life Center, I saw a mixed group of 2 years old children sitting on sofas very quietly and attentively watching a Dora the Explorer cartoon on TV. I was so struck by the children's beauty and innocence I stood for some time drinking in the scene, trying to absorb it into my memory. A powerful reminder of the words of Jesus: "Assuredly I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

No comments:

Post a Comment